April 7, 2016

NYC subway sketches

Aside from being a Mecca for graffiti artists everywhere, the New York City subway transports an endless flow of humanity that makes it truly one of my favorite places to draw people. There is a vibrant diversity hosted in its aged vascular system that is unlike that of any other public transportation system I know of. 
These are some subway sketches from last year when I was in town working on 'El Regalo Mágico'. Although I usually finish the drawings later, I love the immediacy and challenge of trying to discreetly capture as much as I can of these fleeting moments in time with pencil and paper. These are the 'successes' -what I'm not showing are all the drawings that were interrupted or never completed because somebody either woke up, moved too much, or got off the train.

No comments: